Tuesday 15 January 2013

cleaning silver the agile way

There are certain house keeping tasks that really lend themselves to an agile approach. These are the tasks that are self-contained, and not part of business as usual. Today I got one of them done. I cleaned the silverware.

epics and stories aren't the same thing

One of the foundations of agile is the user story. A story is a discrete piece of work that delivers a benefit. Stories can be contained in epics, which are broader pieces. For me, cleaning the silverware is part of an overarching project loosely titled making things nice. It's related to two epics: get rid of excess stuff, and start hosting styled events. 

the stories

1. As a stay at home mum, I want the silverware clean so I can sell it on eBay and get a bit of spending money. This one clearly belongs in the get rid of excess stuff epic.

2. As a person who enjoys entertaining, I want to use the silverware to serve afternoon tea so the table looks pretty. This one goes in start hosting style events

just enough

Each of the stories needs to have acceptance criteria so that you can tell when it's done. For some people, this would be when the silverware is immaculate and gleaming. Because I'm focussed on doing just enough, done is when it's shiny enough to post a nice photo. 

just in time

I wanted to get this done as soon as possible because I want to buy a lightbox, and when I want to buy something, I want to do it now. 

technical approach

My second story refers to using the silverware to serve tea, which to my mind rules out using silver cleaner. I've smelt that stuff, and don't want to ingest it, even if it's been diluted.  Given a chunk of time, it's possible to clean silver with toothpaste, but that sounded way too much like work for me to really contemplate. Which left the easiest technique of all.

put in the sink with a sheet of aluminium foil, a scoop of bicarb soda and a scoop of table salt

Yes, it really is that simple. You line the sink with alfoil, then add tap hot water and a scoop each of bicarb and salt. Put the silver in and let it soak until the water is cool enough to put your hand in. 

Give each item a rinse, then buff any remaining tarnish off with a soft, dry cloth. I don't know why it works, but it definitely does.


the before shot:


and after:


It's not perfect, but I reckon it's good enough to list. (That black splodge in the shot is a reflection. I swear.) Done!

Next up, sorting the bookshelves. An agile housewife's work is never done. Sigh...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!!!! What a difference. I cleaned a gold bracelet in bi carb it is amazing stuff!

Ms Agility said...

I need to know more about the gold cleaning, Sandra!

Being agile

Keeping the house running smoothly is not my forte. I'm not one of those people with a beautifully lit, flawlessly styled, immaculately clean homes. If you're looking for that sort of site, keep searching.

This site is for people who want to try a new approach to getting organized. One that isn't perfect, but is good enough. This is about applying project methodology to the home and getting it running the agile way.